Adoption Lawyers Facilitate Direct Adoptions in Traverse City
Providing guidance and support for direct adoption
If you are interested in direct adoption, the Phelps Legal Group helps you navigate the process. Our attorneys have years of experience and a passion for adoption. We have brought many parents and children together with direct adoption services in the United States and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where we run the 1:17 Center for Global Adoption.
Can a single person adopt a child?
You don’t need to be married to adopt a child in Michigan and most other states. It is also possible to adopt internationally as a single person.The process is generally the same for single and married people. The Phelps Legal Group has helped many single people become moms and dads.
How does international direct adoption work?
International direct adoption is adoption directly from the biological parent in a foreign country to the adoptive parent or parents in the United States. The attorneys at the Phelps Legal Group run the 1:17 Center for Global Adoption, which arranges direct adoptions from the Democratic Republic of the Congo. To adopt through this program, you must:
- Be single or married. If married, you must have been married for at least five years
- Earn at least 125 percent of the federal poverty guidelines, which currently is $11,490 a year for a single person in the 48 continental states
- Not have a record of any serious crimes (minor offenses are handled on a case-by-case basis)
- Obtain a waiver if you already have two or more children
- Be able to emotionally, physically and financially care for the child
- Travel to the Democratic Republic of the Congo for 14 to 21 days (Only one trip is necessary and only one parent must go.)
There are more than 5 million homeless or orphaned children in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, ranging in age from 3 months to 16 years. Healthy children, children with special needs, and sibling groups need homes. Funding is available to help with your adoption costs. We have handled many adoptions through this program and are ready to help you provide a home for one or more of these children.
Call us to get started with your adoption
We are eager to share more information with you about the benefits of direct adoption in the United States or from the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Call the Phelps Legal Group today at 877-886-1878 or use our online contact form. Our office is at the corner of Grandview Parkway and M-72 in Traverse City.