Family Law Attorneys Representing Your Interests in Traverse City
Providing compassionate support for your family
When facing sensitive family law issues, it is important that you are represented by an attorney with the skill to protect your best interests and the compassion to understand your stress. At the Phelps Legal Group in Traverse City, we work closely with you throughout the legal process. We provide you with reliable advice and help you understand the legal options available to you. If you are dealing with family law matters in Michigan, our knowledgeable attorneys are prepared to represent you.
Comprehensive family law services from experienced lawyers
We provide a broad range of family law services, so we are ready to handle the most complex cases. We represent clients in matters involving:
- Divorce. Choosing to get a divorce is never an easy decision.If you have decided that divorce is your best option, our attorneys are here for you. We can help you with all of the issues that come with marriage dissolution. Since no two divorces are alike, we are flexible in our strategies as we keep your goals and the well-being of your children in mind.
- Division of assets. Property and asset division is often one of the most contentious issues during a divorce. We help you determine which assets are marital property and which are separate property.If you and your spouse agree on the division, we can help you draft a property settlement agreement. If you cannot agree, we negotiate on your behalf to ensure that the division is fair. Michigan courts aim for a “fair and equitable” division, but equitable does not necessarily mean equal.
- Child custody. For parents getting a divorce, child custody is a top priority. The court will make a decision based on the best interests of your child, looking at factors such as the relationships between the child and each parent, the capacity of the parent to look after the child, the safety of the environment, the physical and mental health of the parents, and more. We help you determine a child custody arrangement that benefits your child.
- Child support. The Michigan Child Support Formula outlines how one parent provides financial support to the other parent for the costs of raising a child. Both parents have a duty to support their children, and the amount of money the noncustodial parent must pay the custodial parent is determined by the child’s needs and the parents’ incomes. We help ensure that your child support plan is fair and addresses the financial needs of your child.
- Alimony/maintenance. When you are married, you share finances with your spouse. After a divorce, your financial situation can drastically change. Alimony, or spousal maintenance, allows both parties to maintain a level of financial security. Michigan courts determine an alimony plan based on many factors, including length of the marriage, the needs of each spouse, each spouse’s assets, standard of living and more. We help both primary earners and dependents develop a reasonable support plan based on these factors.
- Marital agreements. A prenuptial agreement is a contract signed between two parties who are intending to marry. A postnuptial agreement is a contract that is signed between two people who are already married. Both of these documents can address issues such as asset division and spousal support in the event of a divorce. Marital agreements can be helpful for any couple, but they are especially beneficial for high net-worth families. We can help you draft a comprehensive marital agreement.
No matter your family law issues, our attorneys can guide you through the legal process. Trust our legal team in Traverse City to provide you with knowledgeable advice and understanding support as we help you and your family through a difficult time.
Contact experienced Traverse City attorneys today
When it comes to issues that affect your family, finding the right attorney is imperative. Call 231-421-6577 or contact us online to learn more about what the Phelps Legal Group can do for you. From our Traverse City office, we serve clients throughout northern Michigan. All consultations are confidential.
“Eric is very competent, always prepared, and a zealous advocate.”
5.0 Rating ★★★★★ Review From Avvo
“I have known Eric for many years and worked on cases with him occasionally. In addition to all of the above characteristics, he is very organized, quickly responds to phone calls and emails,
and follows through.”
5.0 Rating ★★★★★Review From Avvo
“Eric is professional, discerning, wise and calculated. His knowledge and experience coupled with his foresight make a winning combination in the court room. I give Eric Phelps the highest of
-Lindsay, 5.0 Rating ★★★★★Review From Avvo
“I came to Mr. Phelps feeling defeated and with an uphill battle before me after being denied my change of domicile request. I had a negative experience with a previous attorney who left me
feeling scared, helpless, and completely unprepared. Mr. Phelps listened, and he agreed to take on my change of domicile case at a point when other attorneys had declined. And, I should add
he did not take my case for the money, but because he honestly thought he could help me. Mr. Phelps and his team were extremely professional, honest, and treated me with the utmost integrity
and respect. He never over promised. He was very prepared for my de novo trial. He exuded a calm demeanor which helped me stay focused. He was the voice of reason during a very stressful time
in my life. The end result was the judge granted my request. I would recommend Mr. Phelps and his team without hesitation regarding any family court matter.”
-JH, 5.0 Rating ★★★★★Review From Avvo
“We have had a wonderful experience with Eric Phelps. He has assisted us throughout our DRC adoption journey and has done so with integrity, honesty and high ethical standards. We would
highly highly recommend his services to anyone in need of legal advice and support.”
-Ann, 5.0 Rating ★★★★★ Review From Lawyers.com
“We work with Eric because he has integrity, wisdom and compassion. We have sought his advisement for both business and personal matters and always been pleased with his care and
-Jennifer, 5.0 Rating ★★★★★Review From Lawyers.com