Divorce Attorneys Helping You Resolve Complex Disputes
Years of experience handling tough divorce cases in Traverse City
While some law firms might shy away from complicated divorces, we know this is a time when you need wise and skilled attorneys to represent you. The Phelps Legal Group in Traverse City has years of experience helping clients through extremely complex family law cases. We are particularly knowledgeable about divorce cases involving substantial assets, including business ownership interests.
What is the basis for divorce in Michigan?
Michigan is a no-fault divorce state, which means you need to show the court only that there:
- Has been a breakdown of the marriage
- Is no likelihood the marriage can be preserved
Family law cases are complicated, and the personal and financial stakes are high. Our Traverse City divorce attorneys offer you solid advice and support as you make decisions about your divorce.
What are the residency requirements for divorce in Michigan?
You must reside in the state of Michigan for 180 days before you can file a Complaint for Divorce. Also, either the person filing the complaint or the defendant must have lived in the county where the case is filed for at least 10 days. The court will dismiss your case if you do not meet these requirements. In that event, you can do the following:
- Wait to file for divorce until you meet the residency requirements.
- If your spouse meets the requirements and you do not, have them file for divorce.
Our attorneys make sure you understand all the requirements and guide you through the process of filing for divorce.
How long does it take to get a divorce in Michigan?
The length of your divorce case depends on a wide range of factors, including:
- Contested vs. uncontested — If you and your spouse reach agreement on all aspects of your divorce, the case is uncontested and can be resolved quickly. A divorce does not necessarily have to be amicable to be uncontested. It means that all disputes were able to be settled out of court. A contested divorce is one in which some matters are in dispute and the court must step in to make the final decisions on issues such as child support, child custody, asset division and alimony. An uncontested divorce is less expensive, more convenient and more efficient than a contested divorce.
- Trial vs. settlement — If your divorce attorney is able to negotiate an agreement with your spouse’s attorney, the case can be resolved without a trial. A trial can add many months to your divorce proceedings. Trials are stressful and expensive, and if you have children, the long process can be hard on them. If you and your partner can agree, settlement is a less contentious and time-consuming process.
- Michigan waiting periods — There is a minimum two-month waiting period from the date you file for divorce. The waiting period is six months if you have children. The waiting period starts when you file your paperwork. The goal of this time period is to allow for potential reconciliation between you and your spouse, and for the court to investigate your finances and the best parenting schedule for your children. If your case does not settle, the court will schedule your trial and your attorney will need this waiting period to prepare.
The Phelps Legal Group provides seasoned representation in complex divorces. Eric W. Phelps is highly respected and applies his extensive experience to every detail of your case.
Why are high-net worth divorces more complicated?
Divorces are usually complicated, but the circumstances are especially complex when there are substantial assets involved. When wealthy couples divorce, they have many financial matters to consider, especially if they don’t have a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement. If you own a business, that even further complicates the situation. We help you equitably divide all of your assets, including:
We understand the financial implications of getting a divorce for high-net worth couples. We work closely with you to ensure that the division is fair and equitable.
Call us for help with your contested or uncontested divorce in Traverse City
Call the Phelps Law Group today at 231-421-6577 or use our online contact form. We look forward to helping you move on with your life. We serve clients throughout the northern Michigan area. All consultations are confidential.
“Eric is very competent, always prepared, and a zealous advocate.”
5.0 Rating ★★★★★ Review From Avvo
“I have known Eric for many years and worked on cases with him occasionally. In addition to all of the above characteristics, he is very organized, quickly responds to phone calls and emails, and follows through.”
5.0 Rating ★★★★★ Review From Avvo
“Eric is professional, discerning, wise and calculated. His knowledge and experience coupled with his foresight make a winning combination in the court room. I give Eric Phelps the highest of recommendations.”
-Lindsay, 5.0 Rating ★★★★★ Review From Avvo
“I came to Mr. Phelps feeling defeated and with an uphill battle before me after being denied my change of domicile request. I had a negative experience with a previous attorney who left me feeling scared, helpless, and completely unprepared. Mr. Phelps listened, and he agreed to take on my change of domicile case at a point when other attorneys had declined. And, I should add he did not take my case for the money, but because he honestly thought he could help me. Mr. Phelps and his team were extremely professional, honest, and treated me with the utmost integrity and respect. He never over promised. He was very prepared for my de novo trial. He exuded a calm demeanor which helped me stay focused. He was the voice of reason during a very stressful time in my life. The end result was the judge granted my request. I would recommend Mr. Phelps and his team without hesitation regarding any family court matter.”
-JH, 5.0 Rating ★★★★★ Review From Avvo
“We have had a wonderful experience with Eric Phelps. He has assisted us throughout our DRC adoption journey and has done so with integrity, honesty and high ethical standards. We would highly highly recommend his services to anyone in need of legal advice and support.”
-Ann, 5.0 Rating ★★★★★ Review From Lawyers.com
“We work with Eric because he has integrity, wisdom and compassion. We have sought his advisement for both business and personal matters and always been pleased with his care and results.”
-Jennifer, 5.0 Rating ★★★★★ Review From Lawyers.com