Frequently Asked Questions About Family Law in Michigan
Resolving your family law issues with compassion
Family law issues are often filled with emotion and have major implications for your future. Phelps Legal Group handles your family law matter with respect and compassion. Attorney Eric W. Phelps has received the highest possible rating from his peers and has a reputation for providing wise and compassionate guidance to his clients.
Where do I file a family law case in Michigan?
In Michigan, the circuit courts handle family law cases, including those that involve:
- Divorce. Under Section 552.6 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, the court can grant a no-fault divorce if it finds that there has been “a breakdown in the marriage relationship to the extent that the objects of matrimony have been destroyed and there remains no reasonable likelihood that the marriage can be preserved.”
- Child custody. A child custody case involves a dispute regarding where a child should live and which parent should make important decisions for the child.
- Child support. The noncustodial parent generally pays child support to the custodial parent. Disputes are common over the amount of the payments.
- Alimony. The court can order a spouse to pay alimony both during and after the divorce.
- Division of assets. Division of assets is often a contentious issue in a divorce.
At the Phelps Legal Group, our attorneys understand the turmoil created by divorce. We help you achieve your goals, whether through negotiation or trial.
How do I choose a family law attorney?
The most important factor is whether you feel comfortable with the attorney. You need someone you can trust and talk to candidly. Good family law attorneys:
- Have years of experience and are respected by their peers
- Listen to you and encourage you to talk freely
- Carefully explain the law, so you understand what the court can decide
- Tell you what to expect at each stage
- Fight for your rights and those of your child
- Keep you informed and involved in your case
When you need a family law attorney in Traverse City, turn to the Phelps Legal Group. You can rely on our record of success, as well as our wise and compassionate approach.
Call us today for assistance with your family law matter
The attorneys at the Phelps Law Group return your calls promptly. Call us at 231-421-6577 or use our online contact form, so we can begin to help you with your family law matter.